About Me

My photo

Beautifully illustrated family history books with a difference by a frequent contributor to the UK family history press. I write for Family Tree Magazine UK; Discover Your Ancestors Online Periodical and Bookazine; Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. The publishers of my family history books are Pen and Sword Books and The History Press. I tweet (and retweet) thought-provoking content designed to help you tweak your approach to (your family) history at @RuthaSymes . Do follow me.

Friday, 9 December 2016

Daily Ideas for Christmas From Your Ancestors - 15 - Light a candle in your window!

Let it burn all day!




'Among the Christmas customs that have entirely fallen into disuse may be mentioned the Xmas candle, which was lighted in most houses on Christmas morning, and allowed to burn undisturbed until the close of day.'

North Wales Chronicle 25th December 1886



Wikimedia Commons



For more daily Christmas tips from your ancestors follow this blog (by putting your email address into the box in the right hand column). For tips that have already been posted, scroll through the blog!



#ancestry #ancestors #wdytya #genealogy #familytree #familyhistorygifts #familyhistorybooks #familytree



2 comments:

  1. seems to me it should be a 'white candle'. I am not sure of the origins of 'white', but I seem to remember something to do with Pagan, or Druids, or Celts.

    But it was always a white one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks 'Unknown' - on the strength of this comment, I've changed the image!

    ReplyDelete